lunedì 16 novembre 2009

CET Student Correspondent News: Volunteering in Florence















Kelsey Brown, 
CET Florence Student and Volunteer at the Children's Lending Library


While living here in Florence, I decided it would be a good idea to volunteer in the community. So I signed up for the Wednesday afternoon shift at the Children’s Lending Library at St. James Church. The library was started in 1973 to help the children of the English-speaking community, now it is a part of the entire community of Florence. It’s rather small for a library, but the shells are packed with books for toddlers up to teenagers. There are also movies of classic English cartoons and translations of Italian favorites. Dedicated individuals and volunteers run the library three days a week. Most of the women that run the library either have an English/American backgrounds and have lived in Italy for years raising their families here. Some of the women are Italian, but they  have such a love for American/English culture that they spend their time in the library. They hold holiday parties for all members and non-members to participate in, such as last month’s Halloween party.


When I spend my Wednesday afternoons at the library I get to enjoy my childhood and learn more about Italy. I have re-stacked book and found books I haven’t seen in years, like Clifford the Big Red Dog. I also have the pleasure of meeting wonderful children browsing through the books as they are just learning to read. Finally, I have had the pleasure of learning about life in Italy from native Italians and the women that have moved their lives here. I think the most interesting thing about spending my time at the Children’s Lending Library is the fact that they are teaching and giving back more to me that I ever could give them.  

Kelsey Brown, 
CET Florence Fall 2009




Want to learn more about the Children's Lending Library in Florence?
Visit their blog or website!!




Nessun commento:

Posta un commento