mercoledì 19 ottobre 2011

The Catania Fish Market

The Catania Fish Market is like nothing I have ever seen before. To try to get an idea, some have described it as the best fish market in the world. When we arrived in Catania, Sicily we were told about the fish market, but honestly I did not know what to expect until I arrived. The fish market is opened Monday through Saturday from the morning until 2pm. Friday morning, as we started out on our walking tour around Catania, all I heard from other groups was how unique the experience was. Finally we made it to the Piazza, and tucked behind it - not quietly may I add - was a mob of people. The smell of fish was spread throughout the square even before entering but got even stronger the closer we got. There were fish, lots and lots of fish. Sea creatures I had never seen before or even knew existed. At each stand were the Sicilians yelling, I do not even know what, trying to sell their fishes or just to get the attention of the people walking by.


The Sicilian Fisherman was unique to any other fisherman that I have encountered in the past. He wanted me, especially since he knew that I was American, to take his picture. The fisherman wanted to show you what they had, even though they knew that you were not buying fish. They would pose for pictures and smile as we flashed our cameras when walking by with fascinated looks. The fish had just been caught that day or night before and were probably as fresh you can find. Each stand too was very different. One man might have caught a thirty-pound fish, while the man next to him was selling a bucket of Sardines. Some of the fish did not even look like fish. For example, one was probably three feet long but it was metallic silver coiled. To not get too graphic about the gory details, it really made me appreciate the process that was involved from catching the fish, to selling the fish at the market, to preparing the fish either at home, and then to enjoying it.

Even if you do not like fish, or are a vegetarian, I would strongly recommend visiting the fish market if you ever visit Catania. It was much more than just the selling of fish and other sea animals, but was an insight to the Sicilian way of life. They were proud of who they were and expressed this through the fish that they caught. While I am not an expert by any means, and have only been to a handful of fish markets before this trip, I can say that this was definitely the most unique and exquisite market that I have ever seen.

Caroline Passano, Vanderbilt University
CET Florence Student Correspondent, Fall 2011

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento