venerdì 10 settembre 2010

Student Correspondent News: Arrival Day, or "I may have actually partcipated in the Grand Prix"

After getting off the plane, I schlepped my two enormous bags into the Florence airport. Looking around fervently, I quickly saw the CET representative waiting for me. Following a quick encounter with the study abroad representative, I hopped in a cab and said in a shaky voice for the driver to bring me to my new address.

Right about now you’re probably thinking “Dang, Sarah is quite the cosmopolitan traveler filled with sophistication and world knowledge.” First thing, I was instructed to get a cab to take me to my apartment. Alone. Yeah, that’s when the visions of “Taken” began to cloud my vision. Thus, I was that American girl who would only ride in a taxi with a female driver. After holding up the taxi line for way too long, I finally got in a cab with a very motherly looking driver. Gave her my address and said a little prayer in hopes of making it to this unknown location. I’ll be the first one to say I’m all for creating ideas based on interactions with people rather than relying on stereotypes but …believe the stereotypes you have about Italian drivers. I think I may have actually participated in the Grand Prix. However, within the blur of the world flashing by me I was still able to absorb a little of Italy. Scenes of this new city flew by my window and I just sat with my face pressed up against the glass taking it all in.

Screeching to a halt outside a crowded lane, my dear female cab driver (let’s call her Maria) helped to unload my baggage on the curb and then impatiently stood watching me fumble through my bags for the correct amount of Euros. Due to the maintenance of my mortality in the drive, I thought a 5-euro tip would be appropriate. Upon receiving her payment, Maria scooped me into a hug engulfing me with her Versace perfume (I know my scents). Feeling a little better, I picked up my bags, squared my shoulders and marched into the place I would call home for the next four months.

La nostra cucina!

View from my aparment

(Later I learned that Italians don’t really tip at all. Maria probably thought I was wacko…hopefully just benevolent)

After hauling my bags up four flights of stairs, I reached out a quite pathetic-looking fist and knocked … the ancient looking door slowly opened inwards revealing a smiling face. Chiara, my Italian roommate, welcomed me into her home. Not much language was shared but the warmth of her hospitality could not be mistaken. Immediately, I felt at ease and knew that this was my destination - this is why I came to Italy, to experience life as an Italian (at least for a little while). After meeting up with the three other girls from Vanderbilt who I’m living with, my feelings were confirmed. This is going to be alright. In fact, it’s going to be really good.
With my roommates (L-R): Kelsey, me, Chiara, Mary Lamar and Hayley in Fiesole.

Sarah Estopinal
CET Academic Programs
Fall 2010

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento