giovedì 26 settembre 2013

My First Month in Florence


From the moment I arrived in Florence, I knew that my life was about to change dramatically. Having hailed from New York, Florence seemed like a completely different world, a paradise. I came from a world of gray dreary buildings, of bustling and unsmiling passersby, of fast food and relentless commercialization. I was greeted by a world of picturesque pastel homes, of people exuding genuine warmth, of two hour dinners with delicious courses and cherished friends. I could not be happier that I made this transition.


I can feel myself changing, acculturating, to this idyllic life. In America, life is very fast-paced and hectic. Time is scant and always seems to obey a fixed schedule. Life seems to revolve around work, and money defines success and well-being. Overall, Italians are much more relaxed, and they seem to adhere to a set of priorities Americans have forgotten. Italians truly savor life. Gradually, I am adopting this relaxed mindset and I feel much happier for doing so. 



Yesterday, as I was reading a novel on a bench beside the Arno and watching the sun set in the distance, I realized that in America I rarely took the time to enjoy the world around me. Class, exams, and extracurricular activities consumed my life. I can feel that Italy is changing me, and I am confident that this change is for the better. Now, I take time to truly appreciate the beautiful world around me and to enjoy life. 



My friends and I make a point to trek to Piazzale Michelangelo on a weekly basis, equipped with wine, bread, and cheese. From this square, the view of the city is breathtaking. We go around sunset and sit there for hours, talking and drinking in the intoxicating beauty of Florence. As the sun sinks below the hills, the sky seems to be on fire. I have never felt more at peace with myself and more appreciative of the splendor of the world around me. 



Italy is a place for new experiences. I have hiked through the rolling hills of Cinque Terre, biked sixteen miles through the Chianti countryside, swam in the crystal clear oceans of Amalfi, made delicious pizza from scratch, gawked at Michelangelo’s David, and climbed hundreds of stairs to the top of the Duomo and gazed down upon the city of Florence. I have not even been here a month and I am doing and seeing more than I ever imagined, and discovering myself in the process. I’m not sure what the remainder of my abroad experience has in store for me, but I am sure that it will be unforgettable.

Sarah Tardo, Vanderbilt University
CET Florence Fall 2013



Nessun commento:

Posta un commento