martedì 22 ottobre 2013

Puzzle Pieces of Italy

I have been living in Italy for just under two months and I don’t think that I could generate an ample description of this breathtaking country. Italy is not the type of country that can be summed up in a few words, or even a paragraph. It does not have a single, coherent personality. Italy is a medley; it is an amalgamation of towns and cities that are each beautiful in their own unique ways. Each location has a singular character, an aura that is all its own.

In September I have travelled to Cinque Terre, Rome, the Amalfi Coast and San Gimignano. I have explored Tuscany and witnessed the most incredible landscapes. Each experience has been a unique adventure. In Cinque Terre we hiked through vineyards, plunged from the jagged cliffs into the bright blue ocean, and then sipped wine on the beach as the sun sank into the water. Rome is so different, so metropolitan. Despite its cosmopolitan nature, it is saturated with history – travelling with the program, I toured the Coliseum, the Vatican, the Pantheon, and more. By contrast, the Amalfi Coast is a paradise, and our boat ride along the coast was one of the best times of my life. Contrastingly, San Gimignano is a city entirely frozen in time. It is a quiet medieval town nestled in the rolling hills of Italy. No two locations can even be compared – each city is special.

Italy seems like a puzzle. Each piece is so different but so integral to Italy’s spirit. All of the pieces are unique, but they join together perfectly to create something amazing.

This upcoming weekend I am travelling to Assisi and then to Perugia for the annual chocolate festival. The next week, I am exploring the ruins of Pompeii and hiking Mount Vesuvius. I plan to go to Lucca, Turin, Verona, Siena, and Venice. I am confident that every experience will be distinctive and amazing. I want to become acquainted with every inch of Italy, to get to know this incredible country in its entirety.  


Despite all of the amazing experiences I’ve had thus far, Florence is by far my favorite piece of the puzzle of Italy. I have been living in Italy for just under two months and Florence is already home; I’ve fallen in love with its unique personality. I’ve fallen in love with the incredible sight of the Duomo, with the breathtaking view of the Arno at sunset, with the delicious food, and the prevalence of beautiful Renaissance artwork. I’ve fallen in love with its rich history, friendly locals, and nonchalant culture. Florence, like the rest of Italy, has a character all its own, and I couldn’t imagine studying abroad anywhere else.



 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento